Conservation Department

2024 Rain Barrel Program

A- Insta Pic 2024

How to Purchase Your Rain Barrel:

Rain barrels are available for purchase by residents at the discounted price of $89.00.

How to Order:

Select Your State and Town


March 31st, 2024 at Midnight


Saturday, April 13th from 10am-12pm (noon) at Tyngsborough Highway Department, 89 Kendall Rd, Tyngsborough, MA 01879


The Conservation Department with the help from the Tyngsborough Conservation Commission is Tyngsborough's steward for Town-owned conservation land and the local administrator of the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act, Tyngsborough Wetlands Protection Bylaw, Stormwater Management Bylaw, Tree Protection Zoning Bylaw and Aerator Use Regulations Bylaw. The range of duties and responsibilities is wide, however, the major areas of responsibility are as follows:

  • Administer and enforce the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act (MGL Ch.131, Sec. 40) and its applicable Regulations (310 CMR 10.00) as well as the Tyngsborough Wetlands Protection Bylaw (Article XXXII of the General Bylaws) and its Regulations, the Stormwater Management Bylaw (Article XLII of the General Bylaws) and its Regulations, the Tree Protection Zoning Bylaw (Section 3.16.00 of the Tyngsborough Zoning Bylaws) and the Aerator Use Regulations (Article LIV of the General Bylaws)
  • Work with the Recreation Department and Town Administration to develop, maintain, and achieve goals of the Open Space and Recreation Plan for the Town. 
  • Develop projects and programs to carry out the applicable goals of the Open Space and Recreation Plan, including preserving land by acquisitions, protecting open space through Conservation Restrictions, publishing educational and informational materials and implementing programs for the improvement and protection of natural resources. 
  • Manage and maintain Town-owned conservation land under the control of the Conservation Commission.
  • Work with landowners and residents to ensure that our natural resources are protected and that construction or environmental alterations are accomplished in compliance with State and Town Regulations. 
  • Advise and work with other Town Boards, Committees and organizations on matters involving natural resources, land conservation and watershed resources.

Our staff is composed of one Conservation Director and one Administrative Assistant.

Conservation Permits

If you are planning to do work on your property, and your property is near a protected resource area, you must file for a permit with the Conservation Commission. The Commission regulates any activity that would remove, fill, dredge, or alter any protected resource area. All permit applications can be found under Permit Application Documents tab. Unsure if the work proposed on your property is near a protected resource area or which permit is appropriate, contact the Conservation Dept. 

Protected Resource Areas

Resource Areas
Land surface which normally abuts and confines a water body - Naturally occurring banks or beaches
Bordering Vegetated Wetlands (BVW)
Wet Meadows, Marshes, Swamps, Bogs
Land Under Waterbodies (LUW)
Land under any Creek, River, Stream, Pond or Lake
Land Subject to Flooding (Bordering or Isolated)
Land that provides temporary storage area for flood water which has overtopped the bank of the main channel of a creek, river, stream, or the basin of a pond or lake
Riverfront Area
Land within 200ft of a River or Perennial Stream that protects the natural integrity of these waterbodies
Buffer Zone
100ft protective zone for all other protected resources including Bank, Beach & BVW