Tyngsborough was founded in 1675 by Colonel Jonathan Tyng, and the Tyng Mansion House was one of the oldest homes north of Boston. On February 23, 1809, Tyngsborough was incorporated as a town, breaking from Chelmsford, Dunstable, and the parishes in Billerica. As the town grew, Tyngsborough became known for its ferries, quarries, and box companies. Until the late 1960′s, Tyngsborough was a vacation community with a large seasonal population.
The 1,000-acre Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsborough State Forest is a popular attraction, with 180 acres of ponds, swamps, and wetlands. The forest has six miles of trails offering hiking, bicycling, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. Hunting is permitted in season.
Primarily a residential community, the town is home to Allied Waste Management, Beacon Power and Piconics as well as a growing number of technology-based companies.