An entry sign at the Tyngsborough town line.
The Town of Tyngsborough is a small residential community located in the Northwest section of Middlesex County, Massachusetts. Composed of 17.86 square miles of land and surface water, Tyngsborough borders the towns of Dunstable, Groton, Westford, Chelmsford, Dracut, the City of Lowell, as well as the State of New Hampshire communities of Hudson, Pelham, and the City of Nashua. Tyngsborough is 44 miles northwest (71 km) from Boston along the recently widened Route 3 corridor. The town calls itself ‘The Gateway to the White Mountains’ of New Hampshire, which is the source of the Merrimack River that bisects the town.
Tyngsborough, was once part of the original Dunstable, MA Township initially settled in 1661 by Colonel Jonathan Tyng named in honor of his mother Mrs. Edward Tyng, who emigrated from Dunstable in Bedfordshire, England. The Tyngs were among the early settlers of the land purchased from the Wamisit and Naticook Indians in 1661 for £20 sterling. This 200 square miles area covered most of current day towns that surround Tyngsborough including Nashua and Hollis, NH.
The Tyng Mansion House built in 1673 was one of the oldest homes north of Boston. During the founding period, settlers of Tyngsborough fought a series of small, but often bloody skirmishes with Wamisit and Naticook tribes, several colonial era homes in town still have emergency passage ways used during attacks.
On February 23, 1809, Tyngsborough was incorporated as a town, breaking away from Dunstable. As the town grew, Tyngsborough became known for its ferries, quarries, and box companies. Until the late 1960’s, Tyngsborough was a vacation community with a large seasonal population.
To date the town population is 11,673 but has experienced a tremendous burst in residential construction in the last decade as part of Greater Boston while keeping its rural charm. Tyngsborough enjoys a strategic position in the Merrimack Valley between Lowell, MA and Nashua, NH.
The Route 113 Green Arched Bridge pre-restoration as seen from Middlesex Road.
Tyngsborough is probably best known today for its green painted single-arched iron bridge over the Merrimack. Constructed in 1931 as a replacement for an earlier wooden planked structure, this bridge has become the town’s emblem and more practically, a major river crossing for residents of Massachusetts and New Hampshire alike. Having fallen into serious disrepair, the green bridge has been replaced by a temporary structure while work is done to restore the former to be completed in summer 2012.
Tyngsborough was founded in 1675 by Colonel Jonathan Tyng, and the Tyng Mansion House was one of the oldest homes north of Boston. On February 23, 1809, Tyngsborough was incorporated as a town, breaking from Chelmsford, Dunstable, and the parishes in Billerica. As the town grew, Tyngsborough became known for its ferries, quarries, and box companies. Until the late 1960’s, Tyngsborough was a vacation community with a large seasonal population.
The 1,000-acre Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsborough State Forest is a popular attraction, with 180 acres of ponds, swamps, and wetlands. The forest has six miles of trails offering hiking, bicycling, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. Hunting is permitted in season.
Primarily a residential community, the town is home to Allied Waste Management, Beacon Power and Piconics as well as a growing number of technology-based companies.
For town statistics you may visit The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Communities Database for info on Tyngsborough, MA
Historical Information compiled by The Town of Tyngsborough Office of Media Programming, The Tyngsborough-Dunstable Historical Society and Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development