- 1. What do I need a building permit for?
- The Massachusetts State building Code states that “it shall be unlawful to construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, remove, or demolish a structure; or to change the use or occupancy of a building or structure; or to install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated be the code” without first obtaining a building permit.This includes, but is not limited to new structures, additions, dormers, chimneys, woodstoves, decks, roofing, siding, swimming pools, antennae, and sheds. The only exception is an ordinary repair. An ordinary repair does not require a building permit.
For more information, contact the Building Department at (978) 649-2300 x112.
- 2. What information do I need to apply for a permit?
- Most projects will require three sets of construction plans, a certified plot plan, along with the permit fee.For more information, contact the Building Department at (978) 649-2300 x112
- 3. What are my property set-backs?
- Please refer to the zoning bylaw and zoning map to determine your set-backs. You may also find out by contacting the us at978) 649-2300 x112